There are many factors to consider when developing a mobile app — functionality, adaptability, cost, etc. Cross-platform allows you to write code for several operating systems simultaneously, saving much money and getting more customers, and finally releasing the utility to the official Apple and Android stores faster.
The best solution is to create a cross-platform version of the utility. But what is that? Cross-platform is when an application can run on different operating systems. Let’s find out if cross-platform applications are that good, and if so, what are their main benefits? Let’s get started!
Maximum impact on your target audience
If you know that your customers are using the most popular and in-demand operating systems like iOS and Android, you can attract a reasonably large audience. Of course, you will have to take into account a lot of nuances when developing.
For example, how the interface will be displayed on each system. In addition to the technical aspects, you will also need to learn the functioning of each of these platforms. But once you manage all this, hundreds of thousands of people will join you.
Reduced development costs
To create an excellent cross-platform app, you will need significantly less expertise when compared to the native view. Moreover, the development process will also be simplified by doing a single module for different systems.
Easy maintenance and deployment
Deployment is much faster because a single code base can be easily integrated into any operating system. Subsequently, maintenance and changes are also much faster because changes only affect one code.
If you release an update, it will work on all operating systems at once, which in turn saves not only time but also budget.
Easy integration with cloud services
Cross-platform apps integrate with cloud services quickly and seamlessly if you do it right. You’ll be able to quickly set up all the functionality you need – the likelihood of crashes, breakdowns, or other negative factors tends to be zero.
Choosing the best approach to application development depends on the business challenges of the project’s complexity and individual circumstances, so you can’t give a single correct answer here. Only general recommendations can be given.
Tools for developing a cross-platform application
So, we’ve figured out the pros of cross-platform apps, and you’ve already decided to make one. But how? You can do it manually (with the help of the development team), or you can use the platforms listed below and quickly recreate the required project with half-ready templates:
- Apache Cordova – this builder boasts tremendous advantages that set it apart from many competitors. For example, a relatively simple API and the ability to use any JS framework at work.
- Xamarin – utilities with this builder are created based on C#. Xamarin allows you to reuse code and makes building a layout for iOS and Android easy. However, Xamarin has some minor drawbacks. For example, some UI components cannot be implemented on MonoTouch and MonoDroid.
- Unity is a viral mobile application development platform that can create high-quality 2D and 3D utilities for iOS, Android, and others. Unity has a lot of free plugins and supports the development of custom shaders.
A cross-platform approach is a good option if:
- You have a limited budget.
- You need to launch your application on two or more platforms quickly.
- Your business doesn’t require complex functional developments.
The cross-platform approach is also suitable for pre-market testing. This is your option if you need a simple application for specific tasks.